Monday 31 January 2011

Looks Like Starbug

We have been having problems with the tank washer, which automatically cleans the bulk milk tank when it has been emptied. Its one of those machines that always seems to go wrong, water, pcb, iodine and steam add an electrical supply and you have breakdowns and malfunctions.
Anyway the latest manifestation was the pumps failing, of which there are two and this is one of them. After a very frustrating couple of weeks, during which Richard has been cleaning the tank by hand, we have two new pumps and new fuses, fortunately the little electronic brain seems to have survived to think another day.
Richard tells me that these pumps always remind him of Starbug from Red Dwarf, the little space ship they use to fly around outside the mining ship. Now he has told me it's all I can see when I look at this.
More sheep, well really its less sheep, these are the last 3 boy lambs from last year, we decided to sell the rest as store lambs, for someone else to fatten up, it would take us ages to get them ready for slaughter and we can do without all the extra cost involved in giving them extra feed. Next year we will sow some stubble turnips as winter feed, although several neighbours who have done that for this winter have lost most of them with the very low temperatures, they can't cope with minus 13 c.
These last 3 sheep have sore feet and so will go into the small paddock, when they are better we might sell them or just keep them for the freezer.
They are in the garden at the moment, with a notice on the gate reminding people to keep the gate closed.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I guess I need to look up what Red Dwarf is. You would think that I would know this, right? Your poor little lambs. I know that you were not born a Country Girl. So tell me, was it hard seeing animals not as pets?
    It would be for me. I'd be the poorest farmer in the world.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Red Dwarf was a cult sci fi series in the 80's about a guy, a hologram and a creature evolved from the ships cat trapped on a deep space mining ship.
    No its not hard, by the time you have been trampled, kicked, trodden on, bitten and knocked over by the livestock you dont see them as pets, I think I am also much more hardhearted/realistic about pets. No anthropomophisation allowed in this house. Walt Disney has a lot to answer for.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you clarified the sign; for a moment I was thinking the sheep need to be reminded to keep the gate closed !

    ReplyDelete